Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

New Tricks For An Old Dog - Lift and Suspension Mods 2.0

[Guest Post by: Chris Burandt]

And so it’s begun!   The boys at ATS are elbows-deep into turning my once stock riding, grandpa-looking, super clean dually into a compound (twin) turbo breathing, Cognito-lifted pull-any-trailer-way-too-fast, beast of a truck!  With 170,000 miles on the ol’ girl we decided to do the head gasket, add some head studs and check the injectors.  Come to find out the head gasket showed some signs of leakage and there was one injector out of spec.
 
I’m really glad ATS leaned me towards going through the motor.  It would have been a bummer to put all the goodies on and then have to tear it back apart later down the road.  With a new head gasket and injector this bad boy 6.6L will be good for another 170,000! 
 
Phase 2, the lift.  When the tech got the Sawzall out I thought he was just joking around with me.  Then the safety glasses came on…real funny guys.  Then I had to jump out of the way so I didn’t lose an arm!  I could tell this wasn’t Chris’ first rodeo with Chevy suspension installs.  After weeks of research on the internet it was clear the only way to go up with the dualler was a lift from Cognito Motorsports.  Cognito’s patented products, insanely good fit and finish, and the ability to retain stock drive angles made this purchase a no brainer.  For all the towing this truck will be doing with 5th wheel and goose neck trailers I decided to go with the 4-6 inch lift.  I was able to get my low rider off the ground, but nothing too crazy to affect the great towing characteristics of the truck.  I can’t wait to see what this thing looks like when it hits the ground!


This is truly one heavy duty lift.  I’ve had lifts installed on several other vehicles in the past but nothing as overbuilt with OEM like fitment as this Cognito kit.  I haven’t even seen the truck on the ground yet and I’m pumped!


Like a kid on Christmas I couldn’t get the Fox RacingShox box open quick enough.  I run Fox Shox on all my snowmobiles so again running these bad boys on my truck was an easy choice.  I went with remote reservoir shocks front and rear.  Pictures don’t do these things justice.  Between the burly looking Cognito kit and the trophy truck like Fox shox this really is going to feel like a brand new truck.  As you can tell by the aggressive tread pattern I like to run on my 215s I can’t wait to throw some new meats on.  Is there anything better than new tires?
OK, enough torture, can we please quit taking pictures and put this thing on the ground!  I wanna see it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment