Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

New Tricks For An Old Dog - Engine Mods 3.0

[Guest Post by: Chris Burandt]

Now we're talking!  Motor got put back into the truck with a fresh head gasket, ARP head studs and a sweet looking set of ATS manifolds and up-pipes.  Now the fun begins.  Over the next couple days the plan is to get the compound turbo kit installed.  For turbo's, ATS is going to be using the stock charger with their Aurora 7500 which will create awesome response on the bottom and tons of air up top to fix my high exhaust gas temperature (EGT) problem.  It was so frustrating to me with my previous set up that I had tons of power but no way to use it when pulling up the passes because of excessive EGT's.

With the lack of air we have up here in the Colorado high country I'm so excited about compounds!  All this talk of not being able to get a truck with compounds over 1200 degrees has got me smiling.  I've seen 2000 degrees on my current set up!!!  YIKES.  Bring on the air!!

Chris at ATS mounted up the Twin CP3 kit.  After talking with Clint Cannon, the owner of ATS, I really like what the twin CP3 kit brings to the table.  Even though we're going to be running stock injectors for this towing set up the extra fuel provided by the twin CP3 kit not only maintains desired rail pressure at all times but it also makes the truck run way smoother.  What I also like about this kit is it allows me the option to go bigger in the future with my injectors or a more aggressive EFI live tune as well.  Oh and that billet pulley that drives the second pump looks way cool too!


My wife actually told me I was pathetic when after I signed the papers on this truck. I only made it the 17 miles from the dealership to ATS's shop to get the first modification done.  I originally bought this white beauty with 80,000 miles on it and I new 2 things as soon as I drove it off the lot; One was that I couldn't leave it stock, and two was this poor truck would have a trailer behind it 75% of the time.  So it was a no-brainer to me to have the boys at ATS throw in one of their big bad purple transmissions with a Five Star Torque Converter and Co-pilot to handle any load or amount of power I could throw at this thing.  To date it has been the best modification I have ever done to the truck.  It's funny when I get in another diesel and drive it around, especially a modded one that doesn't have any tranny work, how much more solid mine feels than the stock ones.  What a difference!

Can't wait to see the compound turbos next!

No comments:

Post a Comment