Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

New Tricks For An Old Dog - Making Your Truck New Again 1.0

ATS Diesel has teamed-up with X Games Snowmobile Champ Chris Burandt for a retooling of his GM Duramax Truck. With the current price of new diesels and low trade-in value offered by dealers, Chris decided to go a different route rather than buy new; Teach an old dog some new tricks.
[Guest post by Chris Burandt]:

The day is almost here!  On Oct 17 my truck goes under the knife under the careful hands of the crew over at ATS Diesel Performance.  It's time to take the 'ole dualler up a couple notches.  Make that a bunch of notches!  Compound turbos, Twin CP3's, head studs, EFI Live tuned by ATS, Cognito 4" lift, Fox Shocks, Fusion bumpers front and rear, Rigid Lighting, N-Fab steps and a wrap from Fineline graphics.  That should do the trick!

This crazy project all started when a buddy of mine brought over his new Duramax and we went for a test drive.  After riding in the very quiet, super smooth and pretty decent powered stock truck I got the new truck itch.  (That new car smell gets me every time!)  So down to the dealer I went with my super clean 04 Duramax which just cracked 170,000 miles.  Just got er' broke in the way I like.

Now I know I haven't bought a new truck in a while but holy crap have things got expensive.  This is where things started to get a little eye opening for me.  The truck I was looking at replacing my sweet ride with ended up being over $61,000!  Yeah that first number is a 6!  So I took a pretty big gulp and said, "Ok, so how much will you give me for my truck?"  Now I'm thinking even though it's got some miles on it, I'm super anal about my truck and it get's washed more than my 2 year old son does.  So that should be worth something right?  When the salesman told me he could give me $12,000

I thought to myself, "Is he just trying to buy the tranny, turbo and sweet exhaust brake off of my truck for $12,000?"  Nope, $12,000 for the whole shoot-n-match.  So let me get this straight, this guy wants my perfectly good truck and $49,000 for this shiny new thing sitting in front of me that has half the power of my rig and has none of the fun stuff that we all do to all of our vehicles.  Say what!?!  Let's just say that didn't make much sense to me.  So I jumped back in ole white and headed down the road.

This got me thinking, why not take a fraction of the money I was going to have to pony up to buy a new stock truck and just make my perfectly good dirtymax new to me!  Thus, all of the goodies above.  Stay tuned as through out the build I'll be posting some pictures and updates of how the transformation is going.  Can you say TWINS Basil!!!!  (If you haven't seen Austin Powers that last line won't make much sense to you.  But if you have, you've got a smile on your face just like me!)

Stay tuned!
-Chris Burandt

No comments:

Post a Comment